Camping and the weather

I checked the weather and the forecast was for clear skies. I packed my ruck-sack, checked all my equipment and set off. The sunset was fantastic, but the fact that dark clouds were rolling in did not bode well for a night under the stars. The whole night was cloudy, not a star in sight. It was still great to be out, checking out the new tent, but the aim of shooting some time-lapse and star photography was gone. 

The following night the forecast was again for clear skies, so I decided to go back out again. This time Eric Mulder would joining me for part of the evening to help shoot a hammock I am doing some promotional shots for. 

The sunset was again fantastic, and as I pitched the tent and got a fire going I could catch glimpses of the first stars of the evening. Within the hour the sky did not disappoint, with shooting stars, the milky way and the northern lights shining above. In the early hours the most beautiful red crescent moon crept over the horizon. Shooting time-lapse sequences takes a lot of time. At night, when you look at the footage you have just shot on the LCD screen, you can see the earth is turning, and you get a real sense of our place in the bigger picture. In the setting of a camp fire, checking my shots, with the moon rising in the east, the milky way above and the northern lights to the north, it was a truly magical evening. 

I realised over these couple of nights that camping out in the wilderness, on your own, is a strange yet fantastic experience. We have some primeval fear of the dark and what lurks where our eyes cannot see. Once you get over that it is a walk in the park, well, maybe not a walk in teh park but a walk in the woods.

A big thanks to Eric for coming out in the evening and morning to help me out.

95% of photos are shot with the Fujifilm XT1. The other 5% is the Fujifilm XPro1.

 

Here is a quick test video for my year long project shooting in and around Åre.